Re: Latest pretest builds fine on windows but...

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Latest pretest builds fine on windows but...
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:35:43 -0400

It looks like the error you got comes from the following kludge:

    (defmacro url-handlers-create-wrapper (method args)
      `(defun ,(intern (format "url-%s" method)) ,args
         ,(format "URL file-name-handler wrapper for `%s' call.\n---\n%s" method
                  (or (documentation method t) "No original documentation."))
         (setq url (url-generic-parse-url url))
         (when (url-type url)
           (funcall (url-scheme-get-property (url-type url) (quote ,method))
                    ,@(remove '&rest (remove '&optional args))))))

For the long term, we should get rid of that, or else do something
that ensures it will work.

How did it happen that your build recompiled url-handlers.el?
If you were building from CVS, that would be understandable,
but a pretest, like a release, should contain up-to-date .elc files
and building it should not recompile them.

It also puzzles me that you were compiling this with an Emacs
that could not get its DOC file.