Re: Bug in change in button.el?

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Bug in change in button.el?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:20:20 +1200

 > > But this seems a bit tortuous. If we want to do this, button might
 > > as well just inherit from the underline face.
 >
 > Why is is tortuous to say "use underline if supported, else try colour"?

So Emacs is consistent in what it does when underlining is not supported.

 > If it inherits from underline, it will use either underline or bold,
 > so that's different yet again.

Previously it did nothing (apart from on MS-DOS), bold (if available) would
be fine.  However I don't quite understand the specification because it
seems to default to :underline when neither underline or bold are supported.

(defface underline
  '((((supports :underline t))
     :underline t)
    (((supports :weight bold))
     :weight bold)
    (t :underline t))
  "Basic underlined face."
  :group 'basic-faces)

 > My suggestion would (I think) get the behaviour you initially wanted;
 > ie colour when underlining does not work. And a colour already
 > extensively used on MS-DOS, so it must be OK.
 >
 > Otherwise let's just go back to how it was originally, with
 > indistinguishable buttons on the linux console.

No let's sort this case, and leave behaviour otherwise unchanged.  RMS can
decide which solution to use.