Pre-release commit etiquette

From: JD Smith
Subject: Pre-release commit etiquette
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:28:40 -0700

What are the rules for a commit pre-release?  If you have a small bug
fix for the release version, should it:

1. Be added to the branch EMACS_22_BASE, for later merger into HEAD.
2. Be added to both the branch and HEAD.
3. Be added to HEAD only, with a request to merge the change from
   HEAD->EMACS_22_BASE.
4. Be added to HEAD and held for a future release.

If #3, who handles those requests?  I suppose this depends on whether a
new branch is going to be cut at the actual release point, in which case
(I presume), all branch changes will be merged back.

JD