Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:48:37 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:50:26 +0200
> > From: Henrik Enberg <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > > I'd also like to remind us the rmail-mbox branch, which we also wanted
> > > to merge post-22.1.
> >
> > I'm not sure it is suitable for immediate merging
>
> IMO, if it's not merged now, it will be another long wait.  So we had
> better merge it now and fix all that needs fixing, while most people
> are using the pretest branch.

I guess people who use the bleeding edge can live with some regression
while the details are being hammered out.

> >   * At the moment, it is slightly worse than current Rmail when it comes
> >     to non-ascii support.  One of the major points of moving to the mbox
> >     format is to be compatible with external tools, and that rules out
> >     storing mailboxes in emacs-mule form, which old Rmail does.  I'm
> >     still not sure what the best approach here would be here.  UTF-8?
> >     Raw text?
>
> Neither.  I think you should encode it and store it encoded, like it
> would be when it comes from the wire.
>
> >   * Gnus BABYL support will break.  Since the new Rmail no longer knows
> >     how to decode BABYL, neither will Gnus.
>
> Why cannot we retain the BABYL support?  It won't hurt leaving it
> alone: e.g., all my email archives are in BABYL format, and I'd like
> to be able to read them, even if only thru unrmail or b2m.

It's not quite that drastic.  A BABYL box will be converted to mbox
format on the fly if you load it.

I'm talking about the ability to browse and save BABYL boxes.  The
BABYL-support bits are so permeated through Rmail that you'd end up
having to specialcase half the functions in there, creating a complete
mess.  It would likely have been easier to write a whole new mailreader
than try to do it like that.