Re: 22.0.98 build problem

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: 22.0.98 build problem
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:27:13 -0400

Ryan Yeske wrote:

> That is true, if I add -nostdlib to the Makefile by hand, I can build.
>
> It is not very clear to me what needs to be changed to add -nostdlib
> for this platform.  What is the condition?

I ran "configure --build=powerpc-unknown-openbsd4.0", which is
probably not a totally faithful simulation of what you are doing, but
configure correctly picked up the definition of LINKER from s/netbsd.h
and used this to set LD=$(CC) -nostartfiles in src/Makefile.in. This
is apparently equivalent to -nostdlib on your platform. So the
relevant question might be, why did this not happen for you?

Maybe the code in m/macppc.h:

#if defined(__OpenBSD__)
#define ORDINARY_LINK
#endif

defines ORDINARY_LINK, which looks like it would cause Makefile.in to
set LD = $(CC).

This could all be total junk, so don't invest too much time on the
basis of this. Does it work if you delete those lines from macppc.h?
Up to 7 years ago (!) ORDINARY_LINK was also defined for NetBSD. Maybe
it should no longer be defined on OpenBSD either. Hand-wave,
hand-wave.