Re: 22.0.98 build problem

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: 22.0.98 build problem
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 02:01:43 -0700 (PDT)

   I ran "configure --build=powerpc-unknown-openbsd4.0", which is
   probably not a totally faithful simulation of what you are doing, but
   configure correctly picked up the definition of LINKER from s/netbsd.h
   and used this to set LD=$(CC) -nostartfiles in src/Makefile.in. This
   is apparently equivalent to -nostdlib on your platform. So the
   relevant question might be, why did this not happen for you?

   Maybe the code in m/macppc.h:

   #if defined(__OpenBSD__)
   #define ORDINARY_LINK
   #endif

   defines ORDINARY_LINK, which looks like it would cause Makefile.in to
   set LD = $(CC).

   This could all be total junk, so don't invest too much time on the
   basis of this. Does it work if you delete those lines from macppc.h?
   Up to 7 years ago (!) ORDINARY_LINK was also defined for NetBSD. Maybe
   it should no longer be defined on OpenBSD either. Hand-wave,
   hand-wave.

Thanks for the useful pointers here.  Yes, when I remove those lines
it does link.  Here is exactly what I did:

*** macppc.h    02 Mar 2007 16:02:17 -0800      1.15
--- macppc.h    26 Apr 2007 01:07:18 -0700
***************
*** 66,75 ****

  /* #define NO_SOCK_SIGIO */

- #if defined(__OpenBSD__)
- #define ORDINARY_LINK
- #endif
-
  #define UNEXEC unexelf.o

  #define NO_TERMIO
--- 66,71 ----

Unfortunatly, I get a segfault in the next step.  Any idea how to go
about debugging this issue?

./temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
Using load-path (/home/rcyeske/emacs/lisp /home/rcyeske/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp
/home/rcyeske/emacs/lisp/language /home/rcyeske/emacs/lisp/international
/home/rcyeske/emacs/lisp/textmodes)
*** Signal 11

Stop in /home/rcyeske/emacs/src (line 270 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/rcyeske/emacs (line 792 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/rcyeske/emacs (line 786 of Makefile).

Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu Apr 26 01:05:18