Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:32:13 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 01:59:02 -0400
>
>     The mailbox should not be decoded, most likely.
>     The decoding should only happen when displaying a message.
>
> That would mean decoding each message when you move to it,

That's what Rmail does now in v22.1, at least the first time you
display the message.  I don't find it inconvenient; do you?

> and reencoding it when you move away from it.

No, that won't be needed if you don't touch the original mbox-format
message, but instead display the results of decoding in a separate
buffer.

> And I presume it would have to reencode the current message to save
> it.

Only if you edit the message (which doesn't happen frequently).

> Or it would mean decoding it in a separate buffer, which has
> its own big inconveniences.

What are they?  Gnus works like that since time immemoriam, and I
don't think anyone complained.

> I think it should decode a message when it is first visited (and the
> extra header that Rmail saves data in is constructed).

And then what? how do you store the decoded message so that it is
still in mbox format?