Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:06:58 -0400

    The only other controversy seems to be the encoding stuff.  I don't
    really understand Richard's objections to what people suggested (i.e.,
    store the messages undecoded).

It would require either (1) displaying messages in a separate buffer
or (2) reencoding the text when you move away to display another
message or save the file.

#1 is intolerable because it means C-x b RMAIL RET won't take you
to the current message.

#2 is quite a pain to implement.

                                    I think this is the way to go; it was
    discussed several times in the past, and the conclusion was always the
    same: that decoding should happen at display time.

I do not know who participated in these discussions, or what reasons
they cited, or how they proposed to deal with the painful dilemma
stated above, so this does not convince me of anything.