Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:52:45 +0200 (CEST)

>     The only other controversy seems to be the encoding stuff.  I don't
>     really understand Richard's objections to what people suggested (i.e.,
>     store the messages undecoded).
>
> It would require either (1) displaying messages in a separate buffer
> or (2) reencoding the text when you move away to display another
> message or save the file.
>
> #1 is intolerable because it means C-x b RMAIL RET won't take you
> to the current message.

Would it be acceptable to do like Eli suggested, name the display buffer
e.g. RMAIL and keep the actual mailbox file in another, possibly hidden
buffer.

An upshot of this would be that we could do pretty fancy things such as
replacing the text of stuff like HTML-only message bodies with the
output of "lynx -dump" without ruining the original mail.

> #2 is quite a pain to implement.

It would require work, yes.  But trying to get many differently encoded
messages to live in a single file, while still not encoding it in an
Emacs-specific way is painful too.