Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:25:08 -0400

On Apr 30, 2007, at 06:25, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

1) The installer adds files to /Applications/Emacs.app if it already
exists, rather than replacing that tree completely.  On one of my
machines, /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin now contains both emacs-22.0.91 and emacs-22.0.99. If I move Emacs.app to the trash before installing, the result is cleaner, with just emacs-22.0.99. (Similarly for other files: the old DOC file, some elisp and image files, etc., were
left over from the old version.)

Is this intentional or expected, or a bug?

What do you mean with "installer"?  Do you use make-package?

Oh, yes, sorry. I used make-package --self-contained, which produced EmacsInstaller.dmg, a disk image containing a Mac installer package file.

2) Out of curiosity, I compared the Intel and PPC trees with diff. Not only were the executables different, which was expected of course, but also leim/quail had differences in the .el.gz and .elc files. Picking a .el.gz file at random, the only difference I found was in the date stamp.

The files could be compressed with `gzip -n' which would leave out the
time stamp.

Sorry again :-). There's a line near the top of the .el file containing a date stamp of when the file was generated. So the file contents differed, but not in any way that should've been important.

Ken