Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: minor observations on Mac build of 22.0.99
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:04:52 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Are these files in fact going to be identical aside from the date
>     stamp in all builds?  If so, perhaps like the .elc files in the lisp
>     tree they should be pre-generated for the release and pretest
>     distributions.
>
> They definitely should be.  I did not realize this was not already the
> case.  Can someone please fix this and ack?

It's not apparent from what you quote, but you do know this refers to
only a small number of files in the leim/quail directory, right? The
associated .el files are not even included with an Emacs tarball at
present, because they are generated from various dictionary files at
build time.

I don't know if there is any reason for this besides space-saving, but
it was not considered a problem two years ago:

emacs-devel, 2005/04/13, "make-dist doesn't distribute some quail files"
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-04/msg00475.html