Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 53, Issue 105

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 53, Issue 105
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 12:47:04 -0400

>     Better not: since the script copies changes from the branch to the
>     trunk, it's better to install changes only on one or the other, but
>     not on both, otherwise you'll end up with spurious conflicts and/or
>     duplicated changes.

> That would be one way of doing it -- but then what use is it to have
> the separate branch?

The sync is not done both ways.  It just makes sure that if we install a fix
for Emacs-22.1 it won't come and bite us again in Emacs-23 because we forgot
to also install it on the trunk.

> And what about cases where we want to make different changes in the branch
> and the trunk (such as timeclock.el)?

I don't see any problem either:
- install the change on the branch
- merge into the trunk
- improve the change on the trunk
or
- install both changes on their respective branches
- when the branch gets merged onto the trunk you'll get a conflict
  which you resolve by simply selecting the trunk's code.

        Stefan