Re: unicode-2 and multitty

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: unicode-2 and multitty
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 22:46:51 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Since the goal after the multitty merge would be merging unicode-2, it
> would likely make sense to name the branch multitty-unicode-2.

This sounds rather silly to me.

Since we have branched for Emacs 22.1, that branch should be used for
possible updates (22.2, 22.3, etc)  --- just like the 21_RC branch was
used for the 21.2, 21.3, and 21.4 releases.

IMO (which obviously don't count at present), the trunk should be
opened NOW for those who want to work on 23.1, i.e. unicode-2 and
multitty should be merged to TRUNK as soon as possible.

Maybe you don't need to import the multitty changes as a branch
in CVS.  I suppose that the changes can be committed directly on the
TRUNK as a (big) set of changes - and just describe the changes in the
relevant ChangeLog files.  [That's how it would have been done if we
had had a sane release procedure].

BTW, on TRUNK, the NEWS file should be renamed to NEWS.22 and a new NEWS
file should be created.  The ChangeLog files should also be renamed
and new files created.

Note: The arch tag follows to the renamed files -- making future
merging from the EMACS_22 branch trivial to merge back to the TRUNK
via arch.