Re: A prototype of intelligent replace for Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A prototype of intelligent replace for Emacs
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 19:18:46 -0400

    If there are many different rules, many features can be computed for a
    match.  Because features computed from a same rule can be compared,
    matches can be classified, or grouped together, with their features.
    This is based on similarity among the matches.  Now the concept of
    "block" and "class" can be defined.  A _block_ is a match plus its
    features.  A _class_ is a set of blocks, all of which have the same
    features.  Continuing from the previous example, since the first and
    the third block have the same feature "status", they are in one class.
    The second block is a class itself.

Now I understand.  Can we find a simple way to present this?

The term "block" is not appropriate.  It should be called a "match".
There is no reason why a "match" can't include these features.

"Class" would be come clear if introduced as "class of like matches".