Re: Reordering etc/NEWS

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Reordering etc/NEWS
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 15:59:32 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> That is the situation as I understand it.  The main concern is that we
> have _two_ branches to merge, so there might be conflicts.  According
> to the maintainers of the branches, those should be rather confined.
> If one wanted to push one's luck, one could say that a first Emacs
> 23.1 prerelease should be possible a month after the serious work on
> the branch merges commences.

The question of whether the two branches will cause conflicts when
both merged into trunk does not need to be a mystery: we can try it
and see what happens :-).  I don't mean try it on trunk, I mean try it
out in a sandbox -- either in a working copy of one of the branches,
or in a third branch created just for this purpose.

Of course, there could be unexpected interactions that don't manifest
themselves as conflicts.  But if the two branches and trunk are
combined in a third branch that some people then run, such
interactions can be uncovered before they go into trunk.

Apologies if all this is clear to you already; I thought it might help
to say it explicitly, for those who hadn't thought much about the
problem yet.

-Karl