Re: Reordering etc/NEWS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Reordering etc/NEWS
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:21:34 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > So regarding your original question: what state of testedness are the
>  > multitty and emacs-unicode-2 branches in, and how far out of date
>  > w.r.t. trunk are they?
>
> It's not really relevant to anything because Richard has already
> said the process is not up for discussion.

Sure.  But nevertheless pretty much everyone (including Richard) has
agreed that it will happen at some point of time, so I don't find it
amiss to answer questions about it.

Of course, I am reporting on my impression of the _current_ state.
Since Károly, the person having done the multitty branch, does not
appear to be available indefinitely for such an effort, the window of
opportunity for merging may close eventually, making things more
awkward than they are now.

But at the current point of time, a merge into the trunk seems quite
feasible.  It would probably shake up people who are used to employing
a random recent trunk snapshot for editing, but I don't think that we
should be bothered to much about them.  I think it is reasonable to
announce on this list that any continuing non-developing/debugging
snapshotters should focus on the Emacs 22 release branch.

Now.

--
David Kastrup