Re: Merging multitty

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Merging multitty
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 23:34:24 +0900

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> I would however think it prudent to _first_ have the multitty branch
> put into place and synchronized before we do the unicode-2 merge into
> the trunk.  That will be the best shot we may have at keeping the
> multitty branch in a state where its developers have mostly to worry
> about multitty issues.
>
> And it would be good if people familiar with unicode-2 would also help
> with merging the trunk change into the multitty branch (since they
> probably will best know how to deal with the conflicts).

You're right that probably the first thing to do is make a multi-tty
branch in the emacs arch/CVS repository.  Then at least it becomes easy
to find and use by developers (and easily kept synced by us), and the
platform maintainers can check it out and maybe do some porting work on it.

If it seems in good shape, we can then merge the unicode branch into the
multi-tty branch and see how that turns out (I don't expect too many
conflicts to be honest, but who knows...).  It's easy to do that
periodically afterwards, so it can be kept up to date (with both the
unicode branch, and indirectly with the trunk).

If there _are_ unicode->multi-tty problems they can be worked on slowly
in the multi-tty branch; most importantly, no other important branch
will be affected (multi-tty is nice but it's far less important than the
unicode branch).

So when it comes time to actually merge to the trunk there will be two
choices:  unicode or multi-tty+unicode (since the multi-tty will contain
the unicode branch).  The merge should be equally easy, as they will
both be periodically synced, so the decision can be based purely on
whether the multi-tty stuff is stable enough.  If it's decided to only
merge the unicode branch to the trunk, the multi-tty branch will be easy
to keep up to date, because it will already contain the unicode branch.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]