Re: Reordering etc/NEWS

From: Karoly Lorentey
Subject: Re: Reordering etc/NEWS
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 01:27:56 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> address@hidden writes:
>>> I dont know. I have only tested mtty on gnu+linux. mtty doesnt have
>>> any value on w32 as far as I can imagine, so I usually just use
>>> Lennart Borgmans w32 emacs package.
>> Why wouldn't it have value?  It allows one to keep an existing Emacs
>> session around into which one can connect remotely via ssh+emacsclient
>> in order to do work.  At least once emacsclient has been extended with
>> a -nw (--no-window-system) option in order to open a frame on the
>> emacsclient tty.

Ah, that is good news.  If the the Windows port has UN*X-like tty
support, then multi-tty can easily support the use case you describe.
This will still not involve significantly more porting work than simply
fixing the compilation.

> One additional possibility: with a sufficient level of craziness, you
> might at one point of time link X libraries into Windows executables.
> Then it would be possible to connect into an Emacs session running on
> a Windows system from a system with an X server (either Windows with
> an additional X server, or a posixy system), and have an X frame open
> on that system.

This would be a very desirable feature, but it needs more work; even the
multi-tty branch doesn't support having multiple kinds of graphical
terminals compiled in at once.

>> It should also allow keeping an Emacs server session around (not just
>> iconified, but actually frameless) that one can plug into using
>> emacsclient again, and have it open a fresh frame.

I intentionally left implementing frameless Emacs sessions after the
merge, to let us discuss this proposed feature extensively on
emacs-devel.  I think we need to make non-trivial design decisions.
(Where do messages go when there are no frames?  How to recover when
someone accidentally calls server-stop?)

Currently people usually run multi-tty Emacs in a detached screen
session that they never connect to.  There are simple scripts to manage
this.  Screen provides the analogue of a console where you go to check
*Messages* or restart the server when there is trouble.

--
Karoly