Re: crash: x_error_quitter

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: crash: x_error_quitter
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 15:00:31 +0200

Chong Yidong skrev:

    This is Yet Another Unnecessary X Protocol Error Crash, probably the
    5th or 6th one to date.  As I've said many times, it's not necessary
    for Emacs to crash on X protocol errors, since they are not fatal
    errors, and can occur on misconfigured X servers.  The only reason to
    crash is to annoy the user.

The reason we make this crash is so we can find the causes and fix them.

Except I don't think we've found a single legitimate bug this way.

Yes we have.

Every time this comes up, we just end up adding yet another call to
x_catch_error.  Since X "protocol errors" are really more like warning
messages (as opposed to X "fatal errors"), I don't envision any other
situation cropping up.

Depends on the error.  Some are really fatal.

But hey, CPU cycles are cheap these days, so what does it matter if we
plaster unnecessary x_catch_error calls all over the code.

It can hide a real error that causes the protocol error in the first place.

        Jan D.