Re: crash: x_error_quitter

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: crash: x_error_quitter
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 17:33:47 +0200

Chong Yidong skrev:
> Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
>> It can hide a real error that causes the protocol error in the first place.
>
> What's wrong with spitting out an error message to the terminal and
> trying to continue, as I believe other X programs do?

Most programs don't install erro handlers so they print something and then die.

As I said, it can hide a real error.  If a font is invalid it is probably some
user error, i.e. he specified a non-existant font.  But if for example a
window or GC is invalid it is much more likely to be a serious bug in Emacs
internal data structures, and continuing after such an error could lead to all
sorts of nastiness.

        Jan D.