Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Karoly Lorentey
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:11:42 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
> Either way, even when using emacs -Q, a setenv of PATH to a different
> value in the Emacs started from the GNOME taskbar will be visible in a
> subsequently initiated emacsclient session, whether on the tty or
> under X.

This may be a genuine regression, but I can't reproduce it here.  What
should happen instead is this:

        $ SNAFU=23 emacs -Q &
                M-x server-start
                (getenv "SNAFU")
                    ==> "23"
                (length (frame-parameter nil 'environment))
                    ==> 55

        $ emacsclient -t
                (getenv "SNAFU")
                    ==> nil
                (length (frame-parameter nil 'environment))
                    ==> 54

(PATH is not handled in any way specially.)  If emacsclient's variables
don't show up in the frame-local environment, then that explains why
emacsclient -t doesn't work when Emacs is started from your GNOME
session: TERM is unset.

This is such a basic feature that my first instinct is that something
might have gone wrong while the CVS branch was created.  Please verify
that you have started with a _clean_ checkout (no leftover *.elc, *.o)
and that the following four key files have the checksums shown below:

$ md5sum src/callproc.c lisp/env.el lisp/server.el lib-src/emacsclient.c
e6b3fc34d6e684433e96e648a8c00e21  src/callproc.c
53b084e43b550b6548fbfce0948bbcc2  lisp/env.el
c4e7d9d27cb90c029fe3de60333e8450  lisp/server.el
6b19c0639ba08cd5f3f47ac8a3afbd3c  lib-src/emacsclient.c

Also, please create a *server* buffer before starting the server and
send me its contents after the emacsclient session.

I will check out multi-tty from CVS and do a diff this evening; I didn't
have the chance to make the switch to Savannah yet.

> I'm not likely get through with checking what in my .emacs might be
> interfering with emacsclient sessions starting up on the tty today.

Your .emacs doesn't seem to make things worse, so that isn't necessary.

--
Karoly