Re: Merging multitty

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Merging multitty
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:49:14 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 05:46:41 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
>     I think Miles was talking about the CVS log, not ChangeLog.
>
> These are two ways of representing the change log.
> Do you really think that the CVS log is not important?
>
> If it is acceptable to tell people, "don't look at the CVS log,
> always look at ChangeLog", then we could be sloppy about the CVS
> log.  But I don't think the CVS log is that unimportant.
> I look there for info, and I think others do too.

CVS log entries are indeed very important because they are linked to
specific CVS versions, while the ChangeLog entries are not.  Thus,
without CVS logs, it is very hard to reproduce the _exact_ source
level changes that were installed.

However, in this particular case, the entire multi-tty branch is being
merged in one swell whoop, so individual CVS log entries for each and
every change will not add any useful info at all.  Thus, I think in
this case it is okay to have a full list of changes either in CVS or
in ChangeLog (whichever is easier for the folks who do the arch-to-CVS
conversion), but it is not necessary to have both.