Re: crash: x_error_quitter

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: crash: x_error_quitter
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 21:39:21 -0400

    >       Which means that the traceback is likely completely
    >     wrong, and local variables, in particular those that have been stored
    >     in registers, are also completely unusable.
    >
    > I think that is incorrect.  The frames on the stack give all the
    > necessary information, once (x-synchronize t) has been used.

    It would be helpful if you actually quoted the _relevant_ parts of
    what you are commenting on.

I think did so.

    x_connection_closed is declared NO_RETURN, so gcc will not bother
    about leaving the stack in a recognizable state when calling it.
    Whether or not that affects the calls of x_error_quitter may depend on
    whether gcc consequently figures out it being NO_RETURN, too.  With
    gcc's current optimization strategies, that is quite plausible.

The crucial information for debugging this problem is which X library
functions were called, and their arguments, and where the call came
from.  I don't think that calling a NO_RETURN subroutine will spoil
outer-level stack frames like this.  I think they will be visible.

But if there is a problem, then we should get rid of NO_RETURN for
this function, because there is no point in optimizing it.