Re: multi-tty branch created

From: rentey <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: multi-tty branch created
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 18:04:47 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> For the sake of transparent backward compatibility, I'd make --current-frame
> the default,  and use -nw as an argument to force the use of the new
> multi-tty feature.  This way you only get the new feature when you ask
> for it.  I normally prefer using an X11 frame over a tty frame, so I'd only
> want to use -nw in those cases where it matters (typically when the
> bandwidth is limited).

You assume that emacsclient now opens a tty frame even if X is
available.  That's not the case.  Emacsclient works like Emacs: it
prefers X, and falls back to the tty only if X is unavailable or the
user forces opening a tty frame by supplying "-t" (the emacsclient
equivalent to "-nw").

        $ emacsclient
                ==> X frame
        $ emacsclient -t
                ==> tty frame
        $ emacsclient -c
                ==> no new frame

I agree that "-t" should be renamed "-nw"; in fact this idea is even in
the README file.  However, multi-character short options are a pain to
implement.  I'd prefer if someone with more getopt experience would do
it instead. :-)

--
Karoly