Re: adding new modes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: adding new modes
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:08:55 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> What is the standard procedure for adding new modes to emacs (if
>> there's any)? I would be nice to see at least add verilog-mode and
>> vera-mode.
>
> Basically, suggest it here, arguing why it's necessary.  Also the authors
> should be willing to sign the relevant legal paperwork.
>
>> There was talk at some point about adding php-mode.
>> Also some more vc back-ends would be good: vc-hg, vc-git, and maybe vc-p4.el
>
> It all sounds OK to me, except for vc-p4 since p4 is non-free.

vc-git is not of release-quality (C-u C-x v = usually chokes while
trying to propose a "previous version").  However, the Emacs 23
release is not exactly around the door, and having it synched into
Emacs-CVS might be nice.  At the current point of time, it is
maintained in git's git repository.  Not all people with write access
there will have a copyright assignment.  So one would have to check
who actually wrote stuff in it.

We seem to have Xavier Maillard, David Kågedal, Jakub Narebski,
Alexandre Julliard, Sam Vilain, Karl Hasselström, Ville Skyttä, Tom
Prince (trivial change).  So that is not exactly an entirely small
list.  I can ask on the git list if people think this a good idea.