Re: [RFA] Console based mouse face highlighting.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFA] Console based mouse face highlighting.
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:14:05 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 15:54:34 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  > But it sounds like all of them but one should be called with that
>  > argument zero, so it shouldn't be too hard to convert them.  Am I
>  > missing something?
>
> Well it means changes to write_glyphs and rif->write_glyphs in a dozen or so
> places in dispnew.c, and a change to x_write_glyph in xdisp.c at least (and
> perhaps w32con_write_glyphs).  If you're comfortable with those changes and
> still think it's the right approach, I'll do that.

I suggested an alternative a few days ago: to add a new function, say,
write_mouse_highlighted_glyphs, which does the same as write_glyphs,
but uses the mouse face.  You could then call this function in the
only place where you now need write_glyphs to use the mouse face.
Would this solve the problem without any unnecessary overhead?