Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Karoly Lorentey
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 04:58:36 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I do not feel this is a particularly important issue, but sure.  Do
>> people use -display often?  I usually simply change DISPLAY directly.
>
> I use make-frame-on-display, and in this case it's a lot more important.

Thankfully, it is easy to add support for it.

>> But if that's really the case, we can still make `process-environment'
>> have a terminal-local binding (with, I assume, DEFVAR_KBOARD), and have
>> all existing third-party Elisp code continue to work without changes.
>
> I'm not sure I understand: wouldn't this choice break the mentioned AUCTeX
> code, then?

No, not at all.  The special environment may be set up for a single
client/terminal/whatever only, but I doubt the code switches frames
before it starts whatever subprocess it wants to start in the temporary
environment.

> Also, while I'm here, why do you use frame-local bindings rather than
> terminal-local bindings (maybe via a new terminal-local variable
> `local-process-environment')?

It is to enable separate environments in cases such as this:

xterm #1:
        $ export FOO=23
        $ emacsclient  // new X frame

xterm #2:
        $ export FOO=42
        $ emacsclient  // another one, on the same display

I find this nice, but others loathe it, so it probably isn't worth the
added complexity.  The issue is moot now anyway. :-)

--
Karoly