Re: [multi-tty] Emacs port status

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] Emacs port status
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 17:56:16 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:14:18 +0200
> Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thanks to some help from Dan Nicolaescu, I think we have reached a
> > point with the Windows port where I would be comfortable merging
> > into the trunk.
>
> That was pleasantly fast.  Of the other ports, probably the MSDOS port
> will provide the most puzzlers.

I'm not sure I will continue the MSDOS support in Emacs 23.  It sounds
like Emacs 23 will be Unicode-based; if that is indeed so, it will be
most probably well beyond my resources to make all the Unicode-related
features work on MSDOS.

> One thing that I personally am concerned about is that it might be
> difficult to reach a consensus about what kind of environment model we
> should be using and documenting.  There have not actually been many
> people involved in the discussion, but it is clear that there are
> quite different standpoints from the user experience and the system
> architecture point of view.

One reason why _I_ wasn't part of the discussion is that I couldn't
find any place where the design principles of multi-tty are described
in sufficient detail for me to make up my mind about it.  Is there
such a document out there?  If not, could someone ``in the know'',
preferably Karoly himself, please describe the feature and its main
design principles?