Re: table cell menu does not appear at the menubar

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: table cell menu does not appear at the menubar
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:54:21 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 16:55:42 +0200
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
CC:  address@hidden,  address@hidden

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 00:35:26 +0200
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I have seen some problems with the menus on w32. I am however very unsure of what goes wrong. I myself use a slightly patched version of Emacs where I use Alt to access the menus from the keyboard.
You aren't saying that you needed to patch Emacs to use Alt for menu
access, are you?  Because I'm quite sure that works in stock Emacs
22.1.
Yes, that is exactly what I say. And I believe I have reported that error long ago.

Doesn't w32-pass-alt-to-system work for you?  It seems to work for me.

I am not sure I can reproduce the problem any more, I have to go on some keyboard training for a while.

I think I told about this long ago. It works most of the time, but not always. On a fast pc you may not be able to see the problem. However earlier when I had a slow pc it happened very often that instead of opening the menus Emacs sent the key I typed after Alt to the keymaps in use.

I do not remember now if it was necessary to have StickyKeys enabled or not, but I always have that.

AFAICS it was a fault in the logic for the menu access.

It may have been fixed since I wrote my patch, but I have not seen anything that makes me believe that.

Maybe I should also say again that I am not confident that my patch is entirely correct. It required some queing of the input and the logic involved there in those parts of Emacs is not very easy. (And at that time with the slow machine and my inexperience with Emacs it was very time consuming to try to find the different parts of it.)

I do not believe I have had problem directly related to it, but I am unsure because of the GDI objects bug in XP.