Re: [multi-tty] X or tty

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] X or tty
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:59:12 +0200

csant <address@hidden> writes:

>> Funny.  For me it is just the other way round.  The normal case for me
>> is to run my emacs server in an X session.  Now if I am somewhere on
>> the road and want to access my Emacs session at home via a modem
>> connection or similar, I have quite limited bandwidth.  Even though
>> the ssh session I'll be using into my home computer forwards X
>> connections, I would not want to make use of it: it would be dead
>> slow.
>
> I am not completely sure that this is what you'd really have to
> expect.  If you'd be ssh-ing without X forwarding, then this would
> be a no-brainer, but if you ssh with X forwarding, you probably are
> doing that... because you want to forward X?  Not wanting X to be
> forwarded for one application (the emacsclient) sounds more like a
> the exception that you could overwrite with an explicit -t .

No, there are applications like xdvi (started from within Emacs) which
just don't work without using X.  But Emacs still is useful without X.

>>> Ideally, I'd like the client to inherit by default any `forced'
>>> flags set to the server, i.e. to start by default with -t when the
>>> server was deliberately started -nw in an environment that does
>>> have $DISPLAY set.  This could be overwritten in the client with
>>> -d .
>
>> I think it would be unexpected.
>
> I am currently solving it with wrappers.  But I am not convinced
> that if I am forcing the `main' emacs instance (the server) into
> deliberately ignoring X, I do not want this to be `inherited' by the
> clients.  Right now it feels more, from the `dumb user's
> perspective, as `hrmph - didn't I say --no-window-system?' each time
> the emacsclient starts with X.

Maybe we should have emacs -nw still notice that it is running on an X
display and associate the -nw setting with _this_ display.  After all,
when we are running emacs -nw or emacsclient -t, we still may want to
have subprocesses inherit the original DISPLAY variable (which is
supposedly conjured from the actual terminal Emacs is running on).

But this would mean that a terminal was _both_ associated with a text
tty _and_ an X terminal screen.  I am not sure the complication would
be worth the win.