Re: [RFA] Console based mouse face highlighting.

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: [RFA] Console based mouse face highlighting.
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 20:15:17 +1200

 > > OK, I'l submit a patch using this one and a ChangeLog if conditions become
 > > more favourable again.  After 22.1 I would prefer to have a team of
 > > maintainers with a more formal approval and release process.  The current
 > > arrangement isn't working for me, and I see no point in contributing any
 > > more if it coninues.
 >
 > Sorry, I don't understand what caused this angry response.  Did I say
 > something impolite? if so, I apologize.

Sorry, it's nothing that you've said, and it's not meant to sound angry but
disillusioned.  I think having a single maintainer only works when that person
communicates clearly with his developers.  I've lost interest in trying to
guess what the trunk is for, what the status of the release is, why it hasn't
happened, or if it ever will.

 > For the record: I have no formal approval powers; anyone with write
 > access to CVS can install _anything_ they want without asking me, or
 > even against my objections.  You asked for my advice, so I gave it to
 > you, but if you disagree with what I say, _I_ cannot prevent you from
 > committing your changes anyway.

I appreciate your advice, without it I couldn't have got the patch to work.  As
it touches on core C code that I'm not very familiar with, I don't want to
commit it without some formal approval (or at least consensus) as it might be
disruptive to do so.  Maybe Richard is too busy to comment, buts that's why it
would be a good idea to have a team of global maintainers.  There are many on
this list, yourself included, who, given the opportunity, could clearly do that
job.