Re: [multi-tty] xt-mouse.el does not work in emacsclient frames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] xt-mouse.el does not work in emacsclient frames
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 10:03:55 -0400

> Here is what xterm-mouse-mode does in order to do its job:
> - send an escape sequence to the terminal to tell it to send events
>   for mouse activity
> - set up a function that processes the mouse events

An important detail of this second point is that it sets it up on
function-key-map, which in the multi-tty branch is now made
terminal-local, IIUC.

> In the multi-tty world when turning on xterm-mouse-mode the above
> needs to be done for all the existing tty frames, and it would need to
> be done when a new tty frame is created (maybe by adding something to
> term-init-hook?).

Actually, I don't think that would be right either: when calling
xterm-mouse-mode, the user implicitly tells Emacs "trust me, this is
a terminal that understands the xterm-mouse protocol".  If you turn it into
a global (i.e. all terminal) mode, then it can break if some of the
terminals don't understand the xterm-mouse protocol.  I think
xterm-mouse-mode should not be global any more but terminal-local, so the
user would need to set it up for each and every terminal where she wants to
use it.
E.g., it should be possible to use xterm-mouse-mode and t-mouse-mode at
the same time.

        Stefan