Re: Icon displayed wrong

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon displayed wrong
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 23:08:28 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>>> It should be consistent with the other toolbar button images.
> [...]
>> I should have said I didn't know enough to decide whether this was
>> consistent or not.
>
> I was aware of this difference. I think the current situation on the
> trunk is the correct one, with all the PBM icons displaying the same.
> But the slight uncertainty, coupled with the fact that no-one ever
> complained about the old icons (the bug that went into FOR-RELEASE
> just happened to be revealed by the one PGM icon), is why I left the
> branch alone. Besides the general principle, of course.

While the half-self-disciplined semi-chaos in the trunk might actually
continue for a while without problems, I think we'll need to appoint
someone to the chore of Emacs 22 release manager (post 22.1, of
course...).  It will mean deciding just when to merge just which bug
fixes after which tests into EMACS_22_BASE, and when to actually do
22.2+ releases.  For the trunk development, discussions may lead to
agreement to solutions.  But release and bugfix merge management are
not a matter of finding an "optimal solution", but rather exercising
some individual judgment.  It would be a complete waste of developer
time to discuss the details about those decisions.

And it will probably not be an overly exciting job.