Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 18:31:23 -0400

    It is only needed for multi-file packages.  Essentially package.el
    needs 3 pieces of information about a package: its name, its version
    number, and its requirements.  For a single-file package these are
    extracted from comments; package.el defines a new comment header
    ("Package-Requires") for requirements, but so far I think this is
    unused.

    For a multi-file package the problem is just knowing where to look to
    get this information.  It seemed simplest to have the package
    maintainer provide it in a well-known place.

I think I understand.  Can you show me the specs for define-package?