Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 16:31:11 -0600

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

rms> I think I understand.  Can you show me the specs for define-package?

Here's an extract from package.el.
Hmm, I am very inconsistent about variable naming here, sorry.  And
the documentation is not entirely clear -- each OTHER-PACKAGE is a symbol.

    (defun define-package (name-str version-string
                                &optional docstring
                                &optional requirements)
      "Define a new package.
    NAME is the name of the package, a string.
    VERSION-STRING is the version of the package, a dotted sequence
    of integers.
    DOCSTRING is the optional description.
    REQUIREMENTS is a list of requirements on other packages.
    Each requirement is of the form (OTHER-PACKAGE \"VERSION\")."

This particular example was generated by package.el from
javascript.el:

    (define-package "javascript" "1.99.8" "Major mode for editing JavaScript
source text" nil)

Here's another example, this time from lisppaste.  In this case,
lisppaste requires xml-rpc:

    (define-package "lisppaste" "1.2" "Interact with the lisppaste pastebot via
XML-RPC." (quote ((xml-rpc "1.6.4"))))

There are some other issues we probably need to work out before we can
seriously contemplate adding package.el to Emacs.  I'm happy to
discuss them here if you like, just let me know... is this the right
time to discuss it?

Also, perhaps someone should review the code, as I am only an
occasional Emacs Lisp hacker.

Tom