Re: [multi-tty] X or tty (was Re: Emacs port status)

From: Karoly Lorentey
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] X or tty (was Re: Emacs port status)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 13:43:26 +0200

csant wrote:
> Ideally, I'd like the client to inherit by default any `forced' flags
> set to the server, i.e. to start by default with -t when the server was
> deliberately started -nw in an environment that does have $DISPLAY set.
> This could be overwritten in the client with -d .

I can see your point, although I would personally find this behaviour a
little surprising.  For you, constantly typing "-t" clearly is a hassle.

A simple solution would be to implement an EMACSCLIENT_OPTIONS
environment variable, the value of which would be added to the
emacsclient command line automatically.  You would then be able to set
it to "-t", and get what you want.  "Old-school" emacsclient users would
set it to "-c".

EMACSCLIENT_OPTIONS would make the "--alternate-editor" option usable
without a wrapper script as well.

--
Karoly