Re: [multi-tty] Emacs port status

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [multi-tty] Emacs port status
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 22:09:24 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:32:23 +0900
>
> I don't think changing internal representation of characters
> afects that much to MSDOS port.

Maybe I'm just confused, but shouldn't the entire codepage.el
machinery be reworked from scratch (or else codepages.el should be
augmented with what they currently lack to support MSDOS)?

Also, the stuff in lisp/term/internal.el that deals with the DOS
display setup should be rewritten, right?

And the support in msdos.c for non-US keyboards should be revised,
shouldn't it?

And then, AFAIR, there are many files in the Unicode branch whose
names clash in the DOS 8+3 namespace (try doschk to see how many).
Fixing this is not rocket science, of course, but it's a lot of
nuisance, to say nothing of the uphill battle I sometimes need to
fight with people who don't want the original file names to be
changed.  Etc., etc. ...