Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:23:54 -0600

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

rms> It seems wasteful to have a file just for this define-package.  Why
rms> not get the info out of the .el files just as for a one-file package?

rms> It could look at all the .el files and verify that they all agree.  If
rms> they don't, it could print an error message.  If it finds different
rms> package names in various files, it could treat them as separate packages.

rms> I think this would in most cases simplify the packaging.

Thanks, I will think about this.  Single-file packages were actually
an add-on to package.el, initially I was only going to support tar
archives.

Right now package.el manages packages in a very simple way -- they are
just unpacked underneath ~/.emacs.d/elpa/, and there is a
straightforward correspondence between package name+version and
directory name.  Having multiple packages in a single directory would
seem to require changing this... not sure I want to do that.  But I
will brainstorm a bit.

Tom