Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 07:19:39 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

>>     How about if I change things so that package.el looks at a list of
>>     repositories, which by default only includes the FSF-owned site?
>
> rms> This might tempt redistributors (such as GNU/Linux distros) to add
> rms> other repositories.  I don't want to ask for trouble.
>
> Unfortunately this does not align very well with my goals in writing
> package.el.  My goal is to make it much simpler for Emacs users to
> download and install the many useful un-integrated Emacs packages that
> are out there.  And, in my view, this has to include the 3rd party,
> unassigned code -- there's a wealth of this on ELL and the Emacs Wiki,
> and its existence, far from hurting Emacs in some way, is actually a
> vital part of the thriving Emacs community.

I more or less agree.  The first letter of Emacs stands for
"Extensible", and where is the point in extending if sharing is made
complicated?  This certainly holds for those things that are not of
general interest, but even those that end up in CVS proper take time
and work to integrate into the tree, time that could be better spent.
If it was usually a single command to grab a package into the tree,
that would save time and work.