Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Multi-tty design (Re: Reordering etc/NEWS)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:39:24 +0300

On 2007-05-13 23:11, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> So one of the differences appears to be that the tty session has
>> TERMCAP information.
>
> I get the following:
>
> C-u M-: (environment) RET
> [...]
>
> And in a Window initiated from emacsclient (no -t) very much the same
> except for:
>  "OLDPWD=/home/tmp/emacs" "_=/usr/local/emacs-21/bin/emacsclient"
>  "COLORTERM=gnome-terminal" "WINDOW=1" "SHLVL=2" "PWD=/home/tmp"
>  "STY=17353.pts-0.lola" "WINDOWID=41943133")
>
> So the funny thing is that some environment variables appear to make
> it through emacsclient, but the termcap related stuff doesn't.  And
> the ones that make it are seemingly those which don't exist in the
> other session (and it is very strange that some seem to exist as just
> the environment variable names without "=" and a value).

The emacsclient session of Emacs appears to be initiated in a screen(1)
window (by the presense of the "STY" environment variable).

I think screen unconditionally sets TERMCAP, and this was what used to
bite me some times, which eventually led me to add to my .bashrc file:

  case $TERM in
  screen*|vt220*)
      unset TERMCAP
      ;;
  esac

Can you try running emacsclient outside of screen?  Does it behave in
the same way then too?

- Giorgos