Re: vms for emacs [was: MacOS port functional too]

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: vms for emacs [was: MacOS port functional too]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:55:55 +0530

Hi,

On 5/21/07, Chip Coldwell <address@hidden> wrote:
I could have a crack at compiling Emacs-22.  It requires a lot of
infrastructure that isn't normally available on VMS, though (e.g. GNU
make, gcc, etc.).

The GNV kit has quite a good collection (look for the not yet
released bash which fixes some issues with '|'). I would not say that
it is close to make it build and run out of the box. I have personally
tried to build Samba and was quite close in getting a running binary,
As part of HP OpenVMS developer group (I am no longer working on
VMS/HP), we put in a whole lot of POSIX support complementing VMS CRTL
library. The current version of CRTL+ Hacks in Samba code + Some ports
of GNU tools by John Malmberg
(http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~malmberg/) could give a good base.

with best regards,
dhruva

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!