Re: Renaming NEWS

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Renaming NEWS
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:12:01 +0900

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
> No, leaving the arch tag in lisp/ChangeLog would seem to make more
> sense to me. Anyone who is using this tag must expect it to refer to
> the "current lisp ChangeLog", not some random ChangeLog.NN.
> ChangeLog.12, which will almost never be used, should get a new arch
> tag.

People don't use the tag.  The tag is used by tools to establish file
identity.

In general the tag should move with the file (and will be used by arch
to move the file in a branch when merging into the branch).

If you want "ChangeLog" changes on the branch to continue to go to the
"ChangeLog" on the trunk then indeed, you're right ... but this will
complicate things to some degree with merging to other branches, because
the "contents move" on the trunk will be essentially be a huge delete
from one file (ChangeLog) and a huge add to another file (ChangeLog.12)
-- and large textual changes like that are quite brittle (e.g., the
presence of slight text differences in the ChangeLog of another branch
will cause a merge conflict for the whole huge chunk).

I guess it doesn't matter too much one way or another though; since it's
a rare event and affects few files, it's not really a big deal to fix
things up by hand.

-Miles

--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research