Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: EOL conversion of files in .tar archives
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:18:04 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> This solves the problem with the EOL decoding, but reveals a very
> strange phenomenon: dos-w32.el and dos-w32.elc behave differently.
> -         (set-buffer-file-coding-system coding))
> +         (set-buffer-file-coding-system last-coding-system-used t))

What's the rationale for this change?  The purpose of the old code was
quite transparent; changing it to use last-coding-system-used is not
obvious, and deserves at least a comment.  (And I think the use of
last-coding-system-used leads to the "strange phenomenon" mentioned
above.)

All this makes me more dubious about adding this code now.  We should
either make this entire change conditional on win32 (hedious as the
resulting code might be) or simply postphone it for Emacs 22.2.