Re: Checkout the sources for the release branch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Checkout the sources for the release branch
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:48:17 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> And how should they get that?
>>
>> Manuals exist.  I see no point whatsoever in starting a tutorial about
>> CVS branches on the Emacs web page.  And I see little reason to act
>> surprised that without doing anything, one will continue to update to
>> trunk instead of EMACS_22_BASE or any other branch.
>
> I think that you maybe are misunderstanding some things.
>
> - I am uploading the binaries for w32 from the CVS for others to
> test. I do not use the unpatched binaries myself.
>
> - I do not currently want to spend time setting up for doing the same
> thing for the tarballs too.
>
> - There is nothing on the Savanna page mentioning EMACS_22_BASE.

That's why you are supposed to read emacs-devel.

> I just did a fresh checkout and did not get EMACS_22_BASE.

Why should you, when you are not asking for it?

> I guess that is pretty simple to understand (as is nearly everything
> we can understand at all) if one knows CVS. I do not know that.

That's hardly a problem with Emacs or its web pages.  If you have no
clue whatsoever about the tools you are using and expect to magically
have them switch branches, there is no amount of handholding that
could reliably keep you from shooting yourself in your foot.

It is not like the existence of EMACS_22_BASE as a _separate_ branch
from the trunk has been kept a secret on the list.

> - If I complain about something I am not doing that because I just
> want to complain. I did find the current situation less useful.

I don't see any remedy that would address your problem, namely that
you don't understand what you are doing and can't be bothered to read
up on it.

The discussion about the release branch has been going on for months
now.  What do you think people are talking about?

--
David Kastrup