[multi-tty] emacsclient and buffers

From: csant
Subject: [multi-tty] emacsclient and buffers
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 20:15:25 +0200

Karoly Lorentey said in a message:

      Frames are associated with the emacsclient session they were
      created in.  C-x 5 2 makes the new frame inherit the association
      as well.  When the user closes the last frame associated with a
      particular emacsclient session, emacsclient exits automatically,
      and vice versa.  C-x C-c is rebound to exit the client, not Emacs
      itself.

But how do buffers behave with respect to these frames?

If I have the client open a file from command line
        $ emacsclient file1
and then find another file, C-x C-f file2 in the same frame, is there one, or are there two buffers "associated with the emacsclient session"? If I C-x C-c in the client, it will exit, but leave file2 in the buffer list of the emacs server instance.

It seems as if only the file opened from command line is associated with the client frame: no matter whether file1 or file2 are in the foreground in the client frame, if I C-x C-c in the client, file2 will stay in the buffer list of the server. (Amusing side note: to my bewilderment, this happened when I C-x C-f a file with tramp as root from within the client, and later found that very file still open in the server's buffer list). I can also kill file1 from within the server, and this will terminate the client, allthough file2 is still open in the bufferlist.

If this is expected behaviour, I guess it might need some good user documentation.

Also, in terminal (-nw and -t respectively) it is not possible to switch to a buffer which is currently in the foreground in another frame (emacs server, or client).

Kind regards,
/c