Re: vc.el no longer recognizes files in an arch working directory

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: vc.el no longer recognizes files in an arch working directory
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:39:36 +0200

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>
>> [Geez, people, please test stuff you commit on the release branch!]
>
> The responsibility in this case can only lie with the person who
> added this non-essential item (originally only on the trunk) to
> FOR-RELEASE.

I disagree.  The name of the file is "FOR-RELEASE", not
"FOR-BREAKING".  If I call a taxi, it does not imply that I am
responsible if the driver runs over half a dozen people on the way to
me.  And I don't see how the person putting something into FOR-RELEASE
can be held responsible for the particular code someone then places
into Emacs when he has no chance to _anticipate_ the outcome.

Unless the FOR-RELEASE item is "Please insert some random untested
stuff that looks good but will likely break."  In that case, I would
consider the person to be somewhat responsible.

--
David Kastrup