Re: Contiguous redisplay of the menu and beeps

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Contiguous redisplay of the menu and beeps
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 18:12:24 +0200

> => I hear two beeps, then "<html></html>" disappears and I see "... 2"
> in the echo area.  No further beeps or CPU consumption.
>
> When I repeat C-c C-i the tags reappear, when I repeat C-c C-i again,
> they again vanish after two beeps and the message is now "... 4".  And
> so on, each time incrementing by two.

Interesting.  On Windows ME this stalls somewhere in the menu-bar code.
Funnily, `table--point-entered-cell-function' would establish a direct
connection of such menu-bar behavior to repeated calls of point-entered.
I don't see anything the like in sgml-mode.

Anyway, it seems that setting point triggers `sgml-point-entered' which
sets point such that it triggers sgml-point-entered ....  Such hooks
must not be allowed to set point unless they make sure that they do not
end up in text which triggers the hook again.