Re: NEWS.22: `allows' without an object

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: NEWS.22: `allows' without an object
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 04:48:50 -0400

>> the line
>> This version of `movemail' allows to read mail from a wide range of
>> could be
>> This version of `movemail' allows you to read mail from a wide range of
>> ^^^

> I think "allows reading mail" is also okay, and doesn't require "you".

That's indeed what I was told, and that's a source of the confusion (for me
at least): in most contexts, "blabla to read mail" and "blabla reading mail"
translate into the exact same thing in French, so I tend to not know when to
use which.
In the specific case of "allow" and "enable", I know I'm not alone ;-)

        Stefan