Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:30:10 +0900

dhruva writes:

 > I think names are almost there. If a package follows a rule/standard
 > of making all 'require' in the top level file (file that provides the
 > package), we just can search for them to get that list.

It's not that easy.  You also need to account for auto-autoloads (if
the package developer already has a particular package, he may not
notice the requirement), and macros and defsubsts (if the developer
always has these in his environment, then for a user, the package may
compile, but error at runtime (missing macro) or be very inefficient
(missing defsubst).

Of course these are generally not difficult to correct, but presumably
the goal is to catch them in advance!