[RFE] find-dired is annoying

From: Trent Buck
Subject: [RFE] find-dired is annoying
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 03:22:37 +1000

find-dired currently annoys me in two ways:

It always inserts \( \) around my predicate.  This is normally
helpful, but occasionally is extremely annoying, for example when
trying to use -prune:

    (find-dired "" "-name \\.svn -prune -o -type f")

Secondly, recent versions of GNU find support the form

    -exec ls -ld {} +

as well as the older

    -exec ls -ld {} \;

As well as saving a bunch of forks and execs, the first form makes
arguments line up better:

    $ find -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -ld {} \; | head -5
    drwx------ 11 twb twb 592 2007-05-22 14:07 .
    drwx------ 4 twb twb 872 2007-05-22 14:00 ./Yi
    drwx------ 2 twb twb 176 2007-05-22 13:59 ./doc
    drwx------ 3 twb twb 72 2007-05-22 14:00 ./gtk
    drwx------ 3 twb twb 72 2007-05-22 14:00 ./vty
    $ find -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -ld {} + | head -5
    drwx------ 11 twb twb   592 2007-05-22 14:07 .
    -rw-------  1 twb twb  2216 2007-05-22 14:00 ./Contributors.hs
    -rw-------  1 twb twb 19308 2007-05-22 13:59 ./LICENSE
    -rw-------  1 twb twb  1348 2007-05-22 14:00 ./Main.hs
    -rw-------  1 twb twb  2017 2007-05-22 14:00 ./Makefile

Ideally these things would be defcustom'd somehow (currently they're
hard-coded in find-dired's body).  I haven't thought through the
specifics; I'm airing what little thinking I've done so far so I don't
forget it.
--
Trent Buck